Reusing and Recycling Concrete
Written: September 04, 2019
In recent years, the construction industry has made a big push for handling bulky material in a responsible way. Now there are more ways than ever to reuse and recycle concrete. These efforts have made a big impact and you can make one too. If you are involved in a remodeling project for your home or business, consider recycling your concrete and creating a custom concrete project.
Why you should recycle concrete
Over the years, business owners and homeowners have realized the benefits associated with recycling concrete. One reason is an increase of efficiency and social responsibility. Another reason is there are economical and logistical benefits. The list of why you should reuse and recycle concrete is endless!
- Concrete, wood and other construction materials take up a ton of space at landfills, so recycling old concrete helps reduce the amount of space taken.
- The recycling process minimizes the need for additional transportation, ultimately cutting down the amount of pollution generated from the trucks and equipment involved and reducing your carbon footprint.
- Third parties can be created and hired to manage the recycling process, increasing employment opportunities in the community.
- A considerable amount of money can be saved in this process because no materials need to be hauled to a landfill. It eliminates the need for excessive labor and construction costs.
How concrete is recycled
This recycling process involves breaking, removing and crushing concrete and repurposing it to be utilized in other places.
A variety of industrial equipment is used to break up the concrete. After that is complete, it is then ran through an impactor, sifted and sorted to separate small and large aggregate. At this point in the process, additional equipment such as water flotation and magnets may be used to get rid of any other unwanted particles. Both the small and large pieces can be reused and integrated into other projects around your business or home.
Uses for recycled concrete
Concrete can be recycled in a number of ways and reused to make a custom concrete project.
- If the concrete is free of contaminants, it can be used to replace new aggregate and added to a new mix.
- Gather concrete pieces from the same project to create a path or walkway for your home or business. The gaps between these pieces allow rain water to run through the soil - potentially reducing harmful runoff that might occur otherwise.
- Recycled concrete can be used for smaller landscaping projects and constructed into materials like benches, raised garden walls, landscape stones and more.
- Smaller pieces of the recycled concrete are often used as gravel in new road construction projects.
- Wire gabions can be created and used as decorative walls or retaining walls
- When properfly crushed and filtered, concrete can replace river rock and used as ground covers and mulch
Custom Concrete Creations is Omaha’s preferred decorative flooring contractor. We bring experience, passion and professionalism to every project and take pride in our unparalleled customer service. Visit our website or give us a call for more information.